for Texas Mountain Trail Writers’ Spring Retreat in Alpine
April 8, 9, 10, 2011
FREE CRITIQUE ON ONE POEM
Along with learning from the 2008 Texas Poet Laureate, Larry D. Thomas, western historian and writer, Andy Wilkinson, and folklore collector and instructor, Dr. Beverly Six, you are invited to actively participate in the process. It’s painless and fun. Everyone get an A+ for their efforts!
Homework for the Retreat
The Texas Mountain Trail Writers are offering you two choices for homework this year. You may choose to participate in one, or both.
- In honor of our distinguished Poet Laureate of Texas, Larry Thomas, we are giving you an opportunity to stretch your imagination and expand your writing horizons by writing some form of poetry for his free critique. It may be traditional (rhyming or free verse), or it can be narrative poetry (like a story.)
Wikipedia defines narrative poetry as poems that have a plot, tell a story and may be of any length, although to be critiqued by Larry, it must follow the rules below.
- Must be a registered retreat attendee. After your registration is processed, Larry’s address and any additional guidelines will be sent to you.
- Must meet submission deadline to Larry by March 15, 2011.
- Poems not submitted in writing, in advance, will not be critiqued.
- Poem length must not exceed one page.
- Only one poem per person will be critiqued.
- Style of poem is your choice.
- Theme and title of poem is your choice.
- This poem may be included in the Chaos West of the Pecos, 2012 edition of TMTW’s house publication if you wish.
2. For our fireside reading on Saturday night.
- Theme of work, poem or prose, will be “Under Texas Skies.”
- This poem or story prose must be no more than 500 words.
- If you sent a poem to be critiqued by Larry, you may also bring another work to read at fireside.
- Plan to read your work on Saturday night, or if you are a current member and can’t attend, send it to a retreat coordinator who will select someone to read it for you if you wish.
- These works will not be critiqued by Larry.
- Strong flashlights will be furnished for fireside reading if needed.
- This work will be included in the Chaos West of the Pecos, 2012 edition of TMTW’s house publication if you wish.