Meeting Announcement: There are NO monthly meetings for June, July and August 2014.
Watch for our September meeting announcement!
From the President’s Corner: Summer, Surveys, and Steering
Summer is here with a vengeance, and the triple-digit heat has kept me inside writing under the ceiling fan. Our May end-of-the-year TMTW potluck was fun. The food was fabulous, and the conversation great, including a good discussion about the future of the TMTW.
As the local members know, I, acting as president, sent a survey to them in May, asking them to think about the purpose of our group, what we can do to increase local membership, and if we want to be organized in a different manner. After the potluck discussion, six members — Reba Cross Seals, Darrell White, Anne VanLoon, Kip Piper, Nancy Beckwith, and Jackie Siglin — volunteered to serve on a steering committee to consider the survey results.
The first meeting of the committee was June 2. We started reading the surveys, finding many positive comments and a good number of ideas for programming. Our plan is to meet again in July and August, and to be able to give our thoughts to the rest of the membership by the end of the summer.
The TMTW has much to be proud of — our members, our writing, our retreat, and our publication. It isn’t the intention of the committee to bring great change, more to discuss ways to attract more members and how to do programming without exhausting our resources (people, time, and money). As you will read elsewhere in the newsletter, our organization has been offered an opportunity to cooperate with the Writers’ League of Texas. This is a very exciting offer, and one we received because our good work was noticed.
Have a great time with your summer writing. I’m off on a road trip so will be gathering ideas rather than trying to put too many words on the paper.
Writers’ League of Texas Offers Exciting Opportunity for TMTW Members
TMTW members can now join the Writers’ League of Texas (WLT) at a special rate of $15 per year. If you are not already a WLT member, you may sign up immediately at this rate. If you are presently a WLT member, you will wait until you renew to receive the rate.
Becka Oliver, the WLT Executive Director, and a speaker at our 2014 April Writers’ Retreat, helped bring this idea to reality. She began discussions with our retreat participants about how the WLT, which is a statewide writers organization, might reach out to smaller writing groups. The WLT wants to build the writing community of Texas and give support and provide resources to writers. This lower membership rate offer came from these discussions. It is a first time experience for the WLT and the TMTW is the first group to receive it. Both organizations hope it be the start of a long time joint effort of cooperation.
The WLT has many benefits and discounts to offer members.
- Membership is 100% tax deductible
- Member discounts on all Writers’ League classes, retreats, conferences (this includes the Agents & Editors Conference in Austin and Summer Writing Retreat in Alpine)
- Advance notice and pre-registration opportunities for classes and events
- Members-only monthly Open Office Hours and one-on-one time with staff and experts (These are one-on-one “meets” with Becka Oliver or Jen Ziegler and members to answer questions or get guidance on writing topics. These meetings can be in person or on the phone. A great way get 30 minutes of undivided attention from the experts.)
- An invitation to join Footnotes (WLT’s email newsletter) and Scribe (WLT’s official blog) which go out to thousands of subscribers. Members can also use these subscriptions as a medium to promote their writing. Only WLT members can post announcements via the newsletter and write guest posts for the blog.
- Discounted subscription to Poets & Writers magazine: $11.95 for one year (regularly $19.95)
- WLT members receive a special discount of 10% off all purchases (excluding the coffeehouse) at BookPeople in Austin
- WLT members get an additional 3 MONTHS FREE of Premium Member Access when purchasing a 12-month subscription to the Author Learning Center
- WLT members receive $50 off on headshots from Sam Bond Photography
- WLT members receive a 10% discount on website and marketing services at Site Street.
- WLT members receive 10% off private retreats booked in advance and 15% off “Write Away Stays” booked anywhere from 1-3 days in advance at The Writing Barn
- WLT members receive a 10% discount at the Luz de Blanco Retreat Center in Texas Hill Country
- 10% discount on printing and binding at One Touch Point/ Ginny’s / contact Terry Sherrell
TLC Graphics and Narrow Gate Books will transform your manuscript into a beautiful, salable book, escorting you all the way with outstanding and personal service. $150 discount on print cover design to all WLT members.
- Free publicity – Twice each calendar year, members can submit a 50-word announcement about their published works or related events in Footnotes. Members are also invited to submit guest blog posts to Scribe.
To take advantage of this great offer, TMTW members should do the following:
Go to WLT (www.writersleague.org) and click on “JOIN” on the upper right. Then click on “Join Online” on that page. Choose the STUDENT membership ($15) and, at the bottom of that form, answer the question “How did you hear about us?” by selecting MEMBER REFERRAL and writing TMTW in the input box.
The WLT will check with the TMTW to make sure you are a member of our organization before they will give you the reduced rate.
A Request from TMTW Member Jenny Walker
I have written a 60-page “Chick Lit” novel and am in need of a second opinion. ot necessarily an editor, just a reader who can discern good writing from poor. I’m reaching out to literary agents and want to decrease my rejection margin. Lol.
If anyone is interested in reading my novel and providing some feedback, you can email me.
Thanks in advance!
Marti Knobloch, new TMTW member, recently published her latest children’s poetry book Andrew’s Animal Adventures. It is available both in Kindle format and in paperback.
As Seen on Facebook
Submitted by Reba Cross Seals
Submitted by Kip Piper
Join or Renew Your TMTW Membership
Membership in the Texas Mountain Trail Writers can help you grow as a writer, whether you write purely for fun or for a living. AND we accept dues payments online at our website! For more information, click here.
Final Note from the Editor:
Have news? Toot your horn, clang your bell, raise your roof! Tell us your news and stories – or writing news in general, such as publications you would recommend, contests, book events, etc. Send your Braggin’ Rights and Trail Bits to gro.s1524610624retir1524610624wliar1524610624tniat1524610624nuoms1524610624axet@1524610624wtmtk1524610624sa1524610624.